Monday, November 15, 2010

Serving in the city

On Sunday, Jason, Aidan & I and about 150 buddies from our church spent the afternoon volunteering here in the city. Last year we stocked food at a food pantry and cleaned up an older church.

This year our small group chose to work cleaning up the yards at two safe houses.

After a few hours of gutter cleaning, raking and bagging we had cleaned up the yards with over 50 huge leaf bags!

The director of the safe house program said as soon as we get finished (we also had a crew inside repainting) that they were moving a family into these homes.

Last year, I equated volunteering as that ripple effect you see when you throw a pebble into water.

Even though we may never see the ripples our pebble of service will have on this family or the families to come, the fun, fellowship and life changing effects that volunteerism has on our hearts keeps us serving.

Where have you served lately?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That is so awesome. You know I always wanted to do something with my kids. I'm going to go look on line in my area to see what's around.