Monday, August 15, 2011

First day of school for Aidan & opthamology update on the girls

Aidan began 3rd grade today.  He was up at 6:15 to be sure that he wouldn't miss the bus (at 8:30)!  Oh yes, he is a worrier.  Thankfully he was excited about the day this morning and couldn't wait to get to school to see all his friends and to experience life as a 3rd grader.
The best part of his day was recess even though it was raining and they had to play inside. 

The girls and I had his usual, first day back to school chocolate chip cookies prepared when he arrived home.
After we got Aidan off to school, the girls and I headed to the opthamologist for our 9:15am appointments.  They both did very well even with the 3½ hour length of the appointment. 
They both had their eyes dilated then we waited, and waited and waited.  Seriously, the whole waiting room was empty and the check in girl was going to lunch.  I asked if she would make sure they hadn't forgotten about us.  Thankfully they hadn't and we only had to wait another 30 mintues!  Fortunately, I came prepared with our iPad and goldfish (would have packed a lunch had I known).  Elmo singing the ABC's is Alayna's favorite thing right now.

Alayna's eyes still have a slight astigmatism and she has a slight nystagmus however, her vision is in the normal range so check up in a year for her.

However, I knew that Dariya had glasses in Ukraine (even though she never wore them) but, what I was unprepared for is how bad her vision really is!  Oh my goodness the poor girl's eyes are worse than mine (which my uncorrected vision is really poor). Bless her I felt so bad that she has been functioning without glasses this whole time.  Now we are trying to find frames that will fit her non-existant sweet little bridge of her nose.  

We have a name of a type of glasses (Erin's world) that are specifically made for kids with ds but, so far nobody in town that carries them is covered by our insurance.  Go figure!  Will keep trying and hopefully she will be seeing 20/20 in no time!  Any ds mamas out there that have any other good frames to try let us know please.

Dariya also has an astigmatism in one eye and that one eye isn't working as hard as the other.  We will try the glasses first but if it doesn't self correct she will need some patching.

Dariya will go back in 2 months for a follow up with her new glasses.  Prayerful she will gladly wear them.

Next appointment August 24th: Cardiology for Dariya to access her heart status!

9 comments:

RK said...

The Erin's World frames are part of Specs 4 Us, and they are generally done online by sending you samples to try for fitting. Many times eye places can receive the samples, help fit you, and then return the samples and order whichever frames you need.

All that said, I don't use these with Braska, but I've met several people who love them!

We have used Fisher Price Cotton Candy frames with cable temples when she was smaller, and we now use WalMart super cheap frames. It's just a matter of doing adjustments on the nosepieces and earpieces to get them to fit well.

But I know that Specs4Us is super great at working with you, so don't hesitate to contact them if you can't find someone around. I don't know of anyone in our metro area that actually *carries* them, but several places will work with the samples and fitting help that are sent out.

ch said...

I'm blind as a bat, so I'll be excited to see what changes are in store for Miss D when she is seeing her new and wonderful world more clearly.

I have two that are squinting at the television lately and I'm absolutely dreading our ophthalmology appointment. I'd ask for tips on keeping those glasses on their faces, but I have a feeling I'm dealing with some naughty that rarely shows its face at the Cannon house.

Happy beginning to 3rd grade, Aidan! You look sharp enough to graduate already! Go get 'em, Big Brother Extraordinaire!

Deb said...

Woohoo 3rd grade! Have you tried kids specs? They are well versed in special needs kiddies and have a great selection. 888-1888

Sarah said...

Lu loves her mir a flex glasses. They come in tons of colors and frame shapes and are indestructible!

Jill said...

Glad Aidan's first day went great!

I'll be praying she keeps those glasses on, but I can't wait to see her reaction to her new world. :-)

Renee said...

High five, Aidan! So glad you had an awesome day. I knew you had it in you! 3 1/2 hour eye appointment...that is crazy business... but truly I can't wait to see Dariya in her new glasses... When Dash got his glasses our doc told us, hey they have contacts that kids his age can wear.....yyyeeeaaaahhhhh rrrriiiiggghhhttt... I'll just stick with the glasses doc... Love you friend. Hope Aidan has a great week and you do too!

Elisabeth said...

We use the fisher price cotton candy frames too, and I've LOVED them. Wesley also has a pair of Disney glasses that also curl around his ears, but we've had more problems with those. The only reason we got them was because our vision insurance covered them and we needed a back-up pair b/c his vision is so bad.

j*e*n said...

I don't have any advice on the glasses -- Ainsley probably won't have to wear them for another year or so. Sorry the insurance stuff is making things difficult. That's so frustrating!!

Making Aidan chocolate chip cookies on his first day is such a sweet tradition!

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Reading your blog I keep wondering how much love and patience you have in your heart. Dasha is really lucky to be in such good hands.
The beginning of Aidan's schooling year reminded me of an approaching end of my vacation. I wish it lasted at least several months longer:)
May God bless you!
Victoria from Cherkasy