Saturday, May 7, 2011

And the test results reveal....

Alayna had her annual blood work completed this week.  Nothing popped up out of the ordinary besides her TSH levels (thyroid stimulating hormone). They were very high, which is indicative of hypothyroidism.  1 out of  4,000 people have hypothyroidism.  People with down syndrome have a higher incidence of hypothyroidism than the typical population.  Alayna also is at higher risk of hypothyroidism because of my thyroid cancer and history of thyroid issues with other females in my family. 

Hypothyroidism is a condition caused by having too little thyroid hormone in the bloodstream. When someone is diagnosed with hypothyroidism, their thyroid gland is said to be “under active” - it is not producing enough thyroid hormone. The symptoms of hypothyroidism include decreased growth rate, constipation, lethargy or tiredness, decreased muscle tone and dry skin and hair.

I have been noticing Alayna is a little more lethargic than normal and her skin is dry.

Next step is to visit a pediatric endocrinologist.  Unfortunately, my awesome endocrinologist doesn't take pediatrics. But, we have a referral to well known pediatric endocrinologist on Thursday.  He will look at Alayna's blood work, order any other blood work necessary and make the decision whether to diagnosis her as hypothyroid.

If she does get this diagnosis the treatment is very easy.  A tiny pill (or liquid for the littles) everyday before breakfast.    Simple!


Happy Mother's Day!!!
It will be a really nice day here celebrating with my mom, dad, sister and her girls but, I sure wish Dariya could be home to enjoy the family fun.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Dasha's levels showed hypothyroid issues as well, and we just started her on meds about 3 weeks ago. She chews the pill! (And then signs more!) We see endo this week. Good luck!

Bill and Sheri said...

Our little Brain has it...it said that on hie RR info. So he will be seeing an pediatric endocrinologist when we get him home. I am glad it is an easy treatment...just 1 pill a day. Not too bad. Hope to see you in E.E. sweet friend :)

Cammie Heflin said...

Hope you get into a good doc, always makes such a difference!

Renee said...

Alayna is in good hands with you to watch over her. I wish Dariya was home with you too.. Soon, my friend, very soon. :(

Tara said...

Eon has it, too. We just crush his pill in a spoonful of applesauce. Easy peasy!

Lori said...

Praying that your visit with the pedi. endo. goes well! And - Happy Mother's Day!!

ch said...

Anxious to hear about Thursday's results! (And maybe wishing just a little bit for a lethargy-causing condition for my own two...)

Hugs to you, Alayna!! Something tells me they'll demand follow up appointments just as an excuse to see your sweet face.

Elisabeth said...

I'm glad they caught it now, and that the treatment is so easy. Hopefully Alayna will cooperate with taking the meds every day. Watch out for when the meds kick in though - she'll be all over the place. :-) I remember being amazed at how much energy I had after I started taking synthroid.

Ellie said...

This is the first time I have been to your blog, and I just wanted to say that you have a beautiful family! I can't wait to see you bring Dariya home soon!
www.moveanymountian.blogspot.com