Monday, July 18, 2011

So how is it going?

I think this is the question we have received most so here is a brief update on us.

We have kept a low profile and remained at home except to take Dariya to the doctor.  We are very thankful to the families that surprised us with meals and treats over the past few days.  What a blessing.

I have gone to bed early every night to get back on US time and feel like I have finally kicked jet lag.

As Jason is going back to work tomorrow we ventured to take the kids to the pool for a little while and Dariya truly loved it.   We will see how well I do with 2 toddlers at the pool with just Aidan and I. 

All the kids seem to be doing very well and enjoying each other.  Aidan can make the girls laugh and giggle like no one.  They of course are entertained by following him around.  The girls have spent the past few days kissing, hugging and playing well together. 

Dariya has fit in nicely to our family.  She naps when Alayna naps in the afternoon and goes to bed when Aidan and Alayna go to bed and gets up about the same time.   She is eating well and sleeping well.  She is slowly losing the head "rocking/banging" that she did in the orphanage to go to sleep.  She had almost completely stopped it in Kiev but, we were all in one bed in our studio apt so now she is in a crib next to our bed she does it some but, not as much as she did the first night with us.  She enjoys bathtime with her siblings and then reading books in our bed before we rock and put her down.  She likes cuddle time, kissing and hugging - she in one affectionate little girl!

The day after we arrived home Alayna didn't like it when Dariya cried (she is a tender heart).  So if Dariya cried, Alayna cried.  Thankfully, they are small enough I can pick them both up at the same time.  But, it has gotten better as the days have gone by.

Dariya was very impatient when waiting to eat and would make noises before mealtimes, to show us she was irritated.  We have gotten her to stop the noises (for the most part) and fold her hands to pray with the family before meals!  Amen!

We weren't able to attend church this first week home due to Aidan having a bad tummy at 4am on Sunday.  He came into our room and forgot Dariya is sleeping in there and woke everyone up.  Unfortunately, Dariya and I were up for the day.  But, no worries Dariya kept me entertained with her fine motor skills...opening and shaking the spices all over the kitchen floor when I went to get Alayna up.  Should have taken a pic but I was still too tired to think about it.    Jason to the rescue new cabinet lock placed on the pantry within 30 minutes of spice clean up #2.

Dariya is continuing to pick up signs and words like crazy.  Alayna had a language explosion while we were in Ukraine too.  On Thursday morning after breakfast she said, "down, Dariya (which sounds like Dora), play.  How is that for an understandable 3 word sentence?  (I want down to go play with Dariya).  These two are going to learn so much from each other.

Dariya had her first check up with our pediatrician last Friday.  Our pediatrician LOVED her.  Dariya was too dehydrated to draw labs on so thankfully she was well hydrated and was an easy draw today.

We know there will be some hard days but, overall I would say it has been a very smooth transition for us so far.  Of course as Jason heads back to work tomorrow I could be changing my story...will keep you posted. 
Goldfish, only in America!

Enjoying a splash in the backyard


Cathy said...

Love it!! So happy that things are going well so far. Prayers that this transition continues to go smoothly.

Becca said...

I love this update! Those are two seriously beautiful little girls... I'm so glad it's going well, and glad you've got Aidan to help you corral the two little ones!

Carol Miller said...

So glad to hear she is adjusting well :)

Elisabeth said...

I can't tell you how much I look forward to your updates! What a kindness from the Lord that the transition has been so smooth for your family.

Emily said...

Great update! I love seeing pictures of her at home!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a certain "LC" might have a little competition in the mess making dept. LOL

Sounds absolutely wonderful!! Challenging yet wonderful!
Love you!!!!

Heather said...

My heart is happy.

Thank you for the update.

kecia said...

so glad she is doing well and you are all transtitioning well!

Katrina said...

I love seeing the girls together. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet Pea's Mommy said...

Love the update! Thank you! Oh, and pass on any tips you learn about two toddlers at the pool as I'll need that sooner than later!

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh! Thank you for the update. Too bad about the spices. Sigh! So much fun lies ahead for all of you. Give each of em a squeeze for me!
nana cam

The Annessa Family said...

Thanks for taking the time to update - I know your busy!!!!

Brooke Annessa

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything is going well. If you need anything, let me know. I am praying all continues to go well.

Suzanne Fristoe

Renee said...

Such progress in such a short amount of time...I knew she would fit in beautifully. Keep us posted friend, and YES, I will be praying for you as Jason heads back to work. Love you!

Homeschoolin Mama said...

So happy you finally have your little girl home! Love the pictures :)

Lacey said...

Sounds like she's fitting in well! I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but since her and Arina were in the same orphanage, make sure she is checked for Giardia and H pylori. Arina was positive for both, and me and Ray ended up with the giardia. Not fun!